7.08.2009

Still sick...

These past few days have not quite turned out as planned. My sore throat and slight fever turned into a full-blown flu. Today my fever is down and I hope to be back at Kalighat by Friday. The days have been long...but when I have made it off the bed, there have been lots of interesting people to talk to. Additionally I have made good headway into Anna Karenina, which I happened across in a bookstore when we first arrived in Calcutta.

Anyway, as not a whole lot has taken place the past few days on my end, here are a few random quotes I want to share:

"Seek God in everyone and in everything."
-- the priest that finally allowed Mother Teresa to begin her work in the slum (I can't recall his name).

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life. Define yourself." --Harvey Fierstein. This quote we found in an Indian magazine that Gared brought back one day.

"When I go home I'm never taking anything for granted. For like two weeks. Then you go back to being your usual prick self." --Another young volunteer here in Calcutta. lol. so true.

And finally, here's one of my favorite quotes of all time, one that has taken on a new meaning for me since I've been in India:

"This is what you shall do: love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to everyone that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning god, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body..."--Walt Whitman

No comments: