8.17.2009

Today, part 2

Today I want to be back in India. Perhaps it is because I watched this movie again yesterday (thanks, Kyna, for the recommendation!). I have been home in the United States for a month now. There is a hot shower. There is clean water. People drive within the lines. Yet I feel at times that my spirit has never been more at peace than while lying on my pack at a stinking train station, supporting the weight of a dying woman at Kalighat, washing my clothes by hand on the roof of a hostel, teaching kids how to make friendship bracelets, or eating samosas and drinking chai off the street for breakfast.

Here are more of my pictures that are currently spread out over a few computers (the internet router on my computer is currently broken...ahh!). Grace, a volunteer that I met in Calcutta, wrote this on her blog... I will quote her here because I think it is beautiful and it is true: If you want to go to India and serve the poor, then go. You have nothing to fear.



woman admiring the Taj from the walls of Red Fort, Agra, India
dosa street cart. Calcutta.
Bhagavad Gita. Temple. Varanasi

temple flowers, Varanasi


Mother's tomb. Calcutta, India
laundry time, but not picture time.
Family, Varanasi, India

Dom +elephant
me +little ones + bracelets in Pune.
sari, Pune, India

little one + Gared
Mumbai...from a distance.
human Rickshaw
neighbors. Calcutta.

the three of us :)
Dom + our rooftop in Calcutta
Gared + paints +Red Fort
washing laundry at Kalighat
family at Taj
little ones. Red Fort, Agra.
Mother Teresa's home for the dying
my feet. week 6.
wonder of the world.
puja, Varanasi
me. Red Fort.
Kalighat.

This is what you shall do: love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to everyone that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning god, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body..."--Walt Whitman
(all photos copyright 2009 Lydia Supplee)

No comments: