12.24.2009

Film

"We were taught that the most important thing a young photographer can do is learn how to see. It wasn't about the equipment we were using. I don't remember being taught any technique. A camera was only a box that recorded an image. We learned to compose, to frame, to fill the negative, to fit everything we saw into the camera's rectangle. We were never to crop our pictures. We went out every morning and took pictures and developed them in the darkroom the same day. Since the prints were washed in communal trays and everybody's pictures were lying there with everybody else's, you tried hard to come back with something good. In the evening we would sit around and discuss our work. We were a community of artists."


-From Annie Leibovitz, At Work.

My brother-in-law just got this book from my sister for an early Christmas present, and I have been poring over it for the last hour. Annie Leibovitz: photojournalist, portraitist, genius, fearless.

I have been pondering purchasing a used film camera lately. Maybe an old SLR. I think it would be a great next step.

It's Christmas Eve. I'm sitting here on the floor of my family's basement trying to "hide out" while I wrap presents. In a couple of hours we're headed to Old Colorado City and the Colorado City Creamery. A family tradition. Old fashioned ice cream in the freezing cold and snow! It's one of my favorite things about Christmas.

1 comment:

Morgan said...

Oh, I just love this. And film. And tradition. And you!


Hahaha, and my verification word to post this comment is swoopsy.