1.17.2010

Winter.






"...the sea's only gifts are harsh blows and, occasionally, the chance to feel strong. Now, I don't know much about the sea, but I do know that that's the way it is here. And I also know how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong but to feel strong, to measure yourself at least once, to find yourself at least once in the most ancient of human conditions, facing blind, deaf stone alone, with nothing to help you but your own hands and your own head..."



I made it back to New York this week. Above are shots of the sunset on my plane ride and the blurry descent into NYC. Today a friend came from Manhattan to visit me in Astoria. The bottom photos are of our winter walk in the park and finishing off the evening with chai tea and a batch of chocolate, no-bake cookies at my apartment. It was a fun, positive way to end a pretty hectic and at times difficult week.


I've been thinking about the Primo Levi quote above. I watched part of Into the Wild with my sisters over Christmas break. And I had forgotten about this quote, which is mentioned in the movie. It's been on my mind ever since...


One more thing...I recently got a chance to update my flickr, with my most recent 365 photos. Although I've already failed more than once, I definitely haven't given up on this resolution! :) Check them out if you have some free moments! Happy weekend to you!

1 comment:

Morgan said...

this is a really nice post. lovely photos.

you've captured winter well.