2.26.2010

Farewell February



Record snow falls in the past 48 hours! I spent a lot of time at the reservoir today (frozen above) just leaning over the railing and enjoying the peace of the snow falling, of birds flying in flocks near the water...away from the traffic and honking of the street. The reservoir, which divides the East and West sides of Central park, is in the middle of the city, and you would never even know it! (besides the skyline of course :)

I love this post from Invisible Children. Partly because I took a class taught by Tom Shadyac during my last semester of college. He quickly became one of my heroes as well and I will carry some of the discussions we had in that classroom with me for the rest of my life. I also love Mary Oliver. I first heard of her while I was working at Summit Adventure during the summer after my junior year. There was something so natural about reading her poetry in the backcountry of beautiful Yosemite. But I have truly grown to love her writing as I've left college and attempted to find my own way. One of my favorites is also probably one of her most famous poems and struck a chord in me...here it is:

The Summer Day:

Who made the world?
Who made the swan, and the black bear?
Who made the grasshopper?
This grasshopper, I mean--
the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down--
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.
I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do 
with your one wild and precious life?

3 comments:

Morgan said...

oh, i just love everything about this post.

loreneduffyiwertz said...

the last photo of the street corner is my favorite! i wish i lived someplace like new york... it would make picture taking so much more fun!

kamlakar Mishra Smriti Sansthan said...

hi your all photograph r very nice,plz let's us know if u r visiting in india.we r working on social issue in india.plz send your email.thanks a lot