2.04.2010

MLK & Banana Bread


"I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality.... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word."  ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

I went to this amazing free concert in the city on MLK Day a little while back with some friends. A bunch of artists and poets came together to perform and collaborate in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King as well as to take donations for the tragedy in Haiti. I hurriedly snapped some pictures of the opening performer (who also was my favorite musician of the night), before the MC came out and told everyone to quit taking pictures. Oh man. This guy was incredible. Daniel Bernard Roumain. Maybe you've seen him on TV performing with Lady Gaga or performing on American Idol. Not only is he a classical musician and composer but he bridges the gap between classical music and modern R&B, pop, and anything and everything else! 

*******
In other news, I am failing BIG TIME with my photo-a-day project. I was doing alright for a little while. But here was the last one I took, which was on January 21st I believe (I know...that was a long while ago):
Some delicious homemade banana bread my roommate made from scratch! You can even see the crumbs on our stove and everything! :)


I'm finding that I don't like to take my camera out with me everywhere I go on a daily basis (to work and back for example). Also, I find that the daily happenings of my life aren't always that interesting and so it becomes tricky to find a creative photo. Then I start photographing things like homemade banana bread...that I didn't even make. :)

Are any of you guys doing a 365 photo project?? Any suggestions or recommendations on how to keep it going? I found a great post with some helpful suggestions on Digital Photography School (another great blog you should follow!). I think I need to start again!

***
Replies:
Lorene: You and Chad need to get your butts to New York!!!!...:) MISS you guys!
Morgan: Thanks, girl! You always leave the best comments...:)... and you're right...I am just going to go and eat there. Who cares if I can't afford it. Just once. haha :) 
Rik: I totally signed up for the Carnegie hall student rush list. If I can get cheap tickets next time, then I'm there!!

2 comments:

loreneduffyiwertz said...

We miss you too! And don't feel bad about posting a picture of banana bread... Most of the pictures I take are of food!

Morgan said...

My friend is doing a 365 project of self portraits. It's fun to watch it progress, her photographs just keep getting better! I think you just have to put up pictures of things like banana bread, or in her case, web cam photos, when you don't have time for something more creative. You know what though? I love banana bread. Ever since I found some at a little organic bakery in Nepal. It was so delicious! I got some to take on the train with me back to India, and it was so comforting in the middle of the night <3