9.22.2010

Eaten, recently

Eaten, recently
Eaten, recently
Eaten, recently
Eaten, recently
Eaten, recently

And here, as promised, are some of my recent eats in an attempt to be healthy and eat as raw as possible: 
1) Homemade oatmeal with sliced peaches for breakfast

2) This combination looks strange, I know. I didn't cook the onions long enough and I messed up the fried egg a bit. But nevertheless, this is my new favorite snack taken directly from Debbie Carlos' amazing tumblr blog. Her creation of peas/feta on toast looked so amazing, I knew I just had to try it! (thanks to Cup of Jo for the link!) Peas stir-fried in olive oil with onions and feta cheese, placed on whole wheat toast and topped with a plain fried egg. The only change I made was to swap red wine vinegar for apple cider vinegar.

3) Granola and plain organic yogurt with sliced apples for breakfast. My next goal is to make my granola from scratch.

4) Gluten-free pizza made with quinoa flour. My mom is an amazing cook. It's nice to be living back at home for a little while, with a family who is also striving to eat as close to raw as possible. I'll definitely be saving this recipe for when I have my own kitchen again.

5) Half spinach, half romaine salad. I hate most types of salad dressing. And to be honest this has kept me from liking and enjoying salads for most of my life. However, my mom recently gave me a brilliant idea to start eating salads with sliced avocado, sliced tomatoes, a few kidney beans, and a tad of salt and pepper to taste. Perfect. Plenty of moisture and flavor. Yum!

6) Last but not least, homemade, gluten-free banana bread made with quinoa flour and a little honey for sweetness. Doesn't count as a sugar item, right? :) Yet another beautiful recipe from my madre! I really just steal many of my ideas from her. 

I want to make hummus from scratch and also braised winter greens with chickpeas, onions, and garlic from the lovely Orangette blog, a new favorite. I've also created a flickr set for my recent eats, which will hopefully be updated regularly. 

Hope you're having a nice evening! I've been in a sort of crummy mood today and missing New York City terribly. However, after work I made myself a cup of tea, put on one of my favorites, You've Got Mail, and sat for a while listening to the rain outside. Feeling better now. :)

9 comments:

Monet said...

So can I hire you to move into my house and take all of my baking pictures? You are so talented!

Megan said...

Yum, looks like you are doing some great eating! And your food photos are great too, especially the pizza one! I am a huge hummus fan also, I actually just made some tonight with roasted red peppers that was excellent.

dearleila said...

everything looks so good!

Morgan said...

Yay! I like that you are doing this. I felt like documenting my eats today because I made such yummy food! A flax waffle with almond butter and blueberries for breakfast, a fruit salad consisting of plain lowfat yogurt, flax, raw local honey, almonds, banana, strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, grapes, and peach for lunch, and a pesto, tomato, mozzarella, spinach sandwich with carrot sticks for dinner. Oh, and a clif bar for a snack (I'm in class till 9 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays!!) I miss you too!!!! Great job :)

Morgan said...

Oh, and I totally saw that recipe for the egg and peas on toast thing!! I want it...

Nell said...

This all looks so yummy. And healthy! Good work lady xx

lorene said...

You've just made me so hungry! It all looks so delicious! Excellent pictures my friend!

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

Your peas on toast look like good fun. I thought your onions were shavings of Parmesan. I bet either would be tasty. And then the fried egg, almost always an improvement. Yum.

Bridget said...

wow, that looks soo good. all of it.