11.23.2010

IMG_1020
IMG_1047
IMG_1051
IMG_1056
IMG_1060
IMG_1064
IMG_1065
IMG_1070
Randomly New York:

A spectacular singing group in front of the Metropolitan Museum of Art
Halloween weekend: you never know what you'll see!
French toast brunch
The best whoopie pies at One Girl Cookies
Brooklyn, Brooklyn, I love Brooklyn :)

This post contains my last batch of fall photos I want to share from my recent New York trip. This is appropriate I think, as Thanksgiving is this week, marking the end of fall and the true beginning of the holiday season!

I've been doing a lot of reflecting lately on my time living in New York and how I feel about the city now that I'm removed from it. I went through so much there...the good and the horrible. I had my honeymoon period with the city, my "get me out of this hell hole" period, and finally grew to an even greater love and appreciation for this place where I struggled the most and was simultaneously the happiest I've ever been, maybe in my whole life until now. It's a hard feeling to express. It's interesting to feel like you belong somewhere...to feel like you could live somewhere forever and never leave, no matter what the city throws at you. I love knowing that I will live there again one day sooner or later... and quite possibly for life. I absolutely love the way Jenna, a native New Yorker, expressed it on her beautiful blog Sweetfineday:

"And so…New York…here we are again. I won’t make any promises that I’m a lifer. I don’t know if that’s true anymore, but I am here. Sometimes I don’t know why. You don’t deserve the love after the horrible summer you made us suffer through, but you are making up for it in the Fall. You take, suck our souls and test us at every turn, but we can’t seem to quit you. Maybe we are suckers and fools, but you must be doing something right."

I couldn't have said it better myself.

9 comments:

Elisabelle said...

love the second one!!

Megan said...

This is such a nice mix of photos! I feel like they really help tell the story of your trip. I need to get myself over there and see this amazing city!

Monet said...

Can we all wear tutus and eat chocolate cookies? Thanks for sharing these photographs and thank you for sharing your thoughts on NYC. Jenna does capture the complexity well! I hope you have a beautiful and blessed Thanksgiving!

Lorene said...

We listened to those guys sing outside the Met back in June! I have almost the exact same photo of them! Weird.

the franglaise said...

the second photo is too cute!!

Ida Nielsen said...

Oh, my heart is aching just a tiny bit after NY when I see these pictures and read your words!!
I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving :-)

Kimberly Geneviève said...

Oh my goodness, that picture of the little girl is just adorable

Reuben said...

NY is the best city in the world!! and i'm hoping it doesn't suck my soul. i like how you wrote it tests us at every turn but we can't seem to quit. spot on.

and the singing group in front of the MET looks like they've got mad skills. i miss NY so much!

Kinsey Michaels said...

your photos are stunning and i loved reading your reflections on living there. i could have written some of the same things, but about san diego. (i'm from the boston suburbs but spent a year on the west coast) and yes, i do plan to move back! it was the most life changing experience!